Monday, October 1, 2018

Garden journal entry, late Sept. 1018

Found this beauty in Lee st, in late Sept. I have never seen this before is absolutely gorgeous. It would look so beautiful in flower arrangements. After asking around and doing some research I found out what it is. It's a Pyracantha and I'm on the hunt for one. It does have thorns, minor detail for all this beauty. 



Pyracantha ("from Greek pyr fire and akanthus a thorn" hence firethorn) [2] is a genus of large, thorny evergreen shrubs in the family Rosaceae, with common names firethorn or pyracantha. They are native to an area extending from Southwest Europe east to Southeast Asia. They resemble and are related to Cotoneaster, but have serrated leaf margins and numerous thorns (Cotoneaster is thornless).
Flowers

The plants reach up to 6 m (20 ft) tall. The seven species have white flowers and either red, orange, or yellow berries (technically pomes). The flowers are produced during late spring and early summer; the berries develop from late summer, and mature in late autumn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment