Thursday, January 30, 2014

MY WINTER GARDEN, NOT TOO BAD.


I almost feel guilty putting up this post when some northern states are going through a very wicked winter. So I'm never going to complain about my hot Florida weather again. Winter time down here for me means cleaning around the garden and preparing beads and bit of mulching too. I so enjoy working outside during this time of year, It's cool, the air is crisp, when it's not raining and I can take my time. This week I've clean and treated all my tools, I also finished cleaning all the terracotta pots and they are ready to go.

This year I planted my one tomato plant in a container. I usually plant them outside but if we get cold weather, they're gone. It's going to be cold all this week, for us that's 40s and 50s. This way I can just bring her in, she's got 2 tomatoes coming and I could not leave her outside, so now she's in my living room. 
Not complaining, I'm blessed to life in Miami during winter.  




                                   This is my Castor Bean Plant, she puts on a show in Febuary.





The Stag Horn is doing well, but I think I want to put her in the front. Major trauma for her, so not sure yet.


       My Cuban Culantro plant that my mom gave me and we are taking some to my sister in        Alabama.




My Spanish moss is happy and she is reproducing nicely. I started them from a few little pieces I brought back from a trip to Savannah a few years ago. I fertilize them with a water soluble fertilizer a few time a year.  I just love the lazy look about them, how the hang and  sway in the wind.



                                           Not only I love the Oregano. also my mom gave me.            



These are falling apart but they still look pretty, they are so old. I'm going to have to find some new ones soon.





This bloom is from an Elephant Ear plant. Sometimes I cut the white Lilly look alike and enjoy them inside.


                                            Sometime I like to let my garden do it's own thing,



This is our,  Gorda, hubby also calls her May West. She is so loving and beautiful. If I was not allergic she would so be in the house. It's a bit cold outside and I feel so bad, so I made a bed for them with a heating blanket that I will never be able to use again. Sometimes they go on it, but not all the time. We have 3 other ones, now if I can get my Rooster, goat, pop belly pig and peacock.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene,
    I know what you mean. Today I had to put on a sweater. This is the first day in a long time here In Southern California that we are having a cool day, low 70's. Me too, not complaining. Your garden it so lush and beautiful. That a pretty flower for Valentin's, the castor bean. Lucky to be able to some Spanish moss and yours is amazing. Good luck with your tomato plant. Hope to be able to purchase a couple this year in a month or two. What a pretty cat. She looks tiny. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden. Enjoy! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most amazing garden! So many varied and exotic plants, what a green thumb!
    Your fur baby is a real beauty, I can see why you call her Mae West.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlene,
    Fantastic garden you have there. We were in Florida week after Christmas and I love, love looking around at all of the lush plants, just like yours.
    I wanted to thank you for the Valentine ATC , so darling!!
    I do enjoy Kimberly's swaps, such wonderful art exchanged.
    Well, continue with your green thumb.
    Hugs
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Post Comment