Friday, August 2, 2013

I LOVE SUMMER IN SOUTH FLORIDA.

This is the time of year that my favorite tree, the Royal Poinciana is in full bloom.  There's nothing like a Royal Poinciana (or better yet, a group of them) in full bloom, like in the nearby park that hubby and I go walking almost every day. The fine, soft, delicate leaflets create the most beautiful canopy of shade. 
 This beautiful tree is often broader than tall, growing about 40 feet high and 60 feet wide. Trunks can become as large as 50 inches or more in diameter.  Long beautiful, dark brown seed pods hang on the tree throughout the winter, then fall on the ground in spring, so beautiful.  Our Royal Poinciana is only about 8 or 9 years old, but she really puts on a show for us.  This was one of my dad's favorite trees too, we use to sell them at the nursery, such great memories.
 
I've also been cleaning up a bit, cutting back my Claw Heliconias  and  bringing them in to enjoy. I've also added a pedestal bird cage to the front porch.  I plan on painting the bird cage white, but for now I hung  this cute little coral chandeliers in it.  
 
This is the view from our bedroom window, what a treat.  



                  She also gives us this carpet of red fallen blooms.




 

I take such great care of this Ivy. It's so rare to be able to grow Ivy in this hot weather of Miami. But she loves this spot and who am I to move her. Once in a while I will very carefully trim a few pieces and add them to a home made floral  bouquet that I put together to enjoy in our living room. I see these beautiful walls of Ivy up north, so wish they would grow like that here.



We just added this ornamental rock next to the front garden path and I planted some red and green Bromeliads around it, I love how it looks.
 


 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Marlene for posting photos of your garden. Everything is so lush and green and the reds pop in your garden. The Royal Poinciana tree is beautiful and I also love when the colored flowers fall to the grounds. A confetti of flowers. Your ivy is doing well and I know what you mean about moving plants arounds. I have to do that too. That is what I love to container garden also. A lot of work but worth it. I'm alway on the look for garden ornaments to put here and there. That chair that you have is gorgeous. I need to find me one and call it my own. : )
    Here in Southern California we are have some below average weather here. We shall see what this will do for the summer veggies and flowers.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your pics. You are always inspiring. Looking for a new small home so I can get outside some. Love your ideas of decorating. L&L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yard is always beautiful. the royal poinciana is a gorgeous tree but too much work picking up when it sheds all those gorgeous orange blooms (like you call them). We had a huge gorgeous one in the front yard and took it down. Even our neighbor thanked us when it was all said and done. His pool was always full of the blooms. Love the chandelier inside the bird cage.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete

Post Comment