Sunday, May 15, 2011

My latest cake creation.

I made this cake for my friend Mercy's birthday, her b-day was a few weeks ago and I had promised I would make her one of my cakes. I didn't add the "Happy Birthday" because I have to practise on my writing.
Ms. Mercy hosted our scrappy get-together this month and I took her the cake. She got so happy when she saw it and that just made my day. We had such a great time at her home, I'm loving our monthly scrappy get-together. I'll soon post about it.


I start by organizing and sanitizing all my tools and work area.


This was a German chocolate cake with chocolate custard filling. Once baked and cooled I crumb coat it, in order for the fondant to stick to it.

Here I'm waiting for my sugar paste art work to dry. I worked on these about a week before. Gum paste flowers, if properly stored, can last for a very long tome. I like to take my time and enjoy the process. For me this is the most creative part of making my cakes.

I didn't have one of those professional cake boards, so I made my own. I used some crepe paper that I pleaded and glued with the hot glue gun. I covered the board with this paper from the "Mariposa" paper collection, very appropriate for my scrappy friends. This paper is a beautiful olive green that just worked so well with the veined sugar paste leaves.

I'm just so in love with this sugar paste flower. I'm happy how it turned out. It's really a fantasy flower, I kinda made it up. I just kept working on the shades, dark pink, light pink and a hint of yellow. I also used a touch of Luster Dust, it's like edible Glimmer Mist, lol. I think getting the colors and shades just right makes the biggest difference. LOVE it.




I was having problems with one of the sugar paste leaves, it just would not stay on. I came up with this idea and the extra support worked. I left it like that over night and it was perfect in the morning.

Finally my cake made it to the board in one piece. The leaf was still on and it made it safely to the crop. I'm happy to announce that they loved it. Happy belated birthday Ms. Mercy!



10 comments:

  1. Hey Ms Marlene. The cake was beautiful. Sorry I can't say anything about the taste because I did not have a piece. The flower came out gorgeous.
    Had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlene that was THE MOST beautiful cake I have EVER seem. The taste was amazing too and we can ask Kasi....she had TWO pieces LOL You are an amazing artist and friend!!! We love you!! Hugs, T & K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devo ammettere che hai proprio del buon gusto nel fare e nel creare sei fantastica, ecco perchè ti seguo con molto piacere...un grosso bacio Marisa (Mary)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlene! You are amazing! Is ther anything you can't do? =D Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Marlene, this cake is incredible beautiful!!! This flower on the top is a (master)piece of art!! I can´t find a word to express how ... gorgeous! ... it is!! I have a rambler rose in exactly these colors in my garden :-)
    It´s so fun to follow your blog, because you always surprise me with your stunning creations!
    Hugs from Austria!
    Ulina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Marlene, the cake was gorgeous. I did not ry it but everyone that did said it was delicious. You are a pro. I could never do something like that.
    You are so sweet. I can't wait for the next crop. I wonder what you will bake next. Can you please make it vanilla. Your cup cakes will be fine. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake was not only absolutely gorgeous, it was soooooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is just gorgeous!
    XO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, long time I don't visit. I just caught up on your blog. Your bday celebration looked beautiful with all the details you put together. Those cupcakes looks delish. So glad you had a wonderful day. Your cake is beautiful. God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning cake!! Your friend in very fortunate that you are so talented. It is so nice to meet you Marlene. I am your newest follower.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

Post Comment